Mariners Compass

I usually show my SBS blocks after i have completed a Row, but i think this block deserves a post of its own:


Mariners Compass

I have been fortunate enough to sew my blocks without Paper Piecing but this block ended my "good run". I have vaguely understood the logistics of paper piecing and i have watched it being done but until today i havent tried it for myself..........so a quick online tutorial and then out to the studio to "give it a go"!!
Im pleased to say, it wasnt as difficult as id thought and my most dreaded block actually turned out OK!! I just had to be careful of the colours, cause u piece it almost backwards. Im usually messy when i sew, but u could hardly see my cutting table when id finished lol
I will probably use PP again (now im not afraid of it) but its not something i can see myself doing regularly!!!
Hope ur enjoying ur weekend!!!
Take care
Rose xxx

13 comments

  1. Way to go! ...both on making the Mariner's Compass block and on conquering your fear of paper piecing! The block looks great! As you know, I pp when I have to, but not the most enjoyable way of sewing...

    I decided to tackle the log cabin border today - puh! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The block is gorgeous. I agree with Anne...pp when you have to but prefer not to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job. Your block looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How clever are you!!!!
    BTW Yay cats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your block is stunning. i've only used paper when making HSTs, not a whole block. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on a tough block. If you can make that one, you can make anything!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your block turned out wonderful. I don't enjoy pp but I will do it in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work! And how fun to read Anne Ida's adventure about your blocks....Hope you'll recover soon. Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your block on Anne's blog is beautiful!!! I can not wait to see the entire quilt. I am so sorry about your shoulder..if possible you need to put a comment on my blog by Wednesday...have Maddi do it for you if you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful mariners compass.

    Just read on Ann's blog that your shoulder is hurting. Please take care. Small movments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did it! Your Mariner's Compass block is beautiful! I do agree, PP is not the funniest way in making blocks, espcially when you have tear away the paper!
    Be careful with your arm. Look forward to see more blocks from you and Anne Ida, hmh, but first let your arm heal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mariner's compas is so beautiful! Great job! I love paper piecing...it's so much easier to me! :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors, block looks great! I only did one without paper piecing, and one with. Hate paper piecing, though. So I probably won't ever do any more! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊