Tutorial- Right Hand of Friendship Block

Teresa very kindly hinted for me to provide a tutorial on the Right Hand of Friendship block, so here we go, my first tutorial:

For a 6" block you will need to cut:
4 x 2 1/2" squares from your background fabric
1 x 3 1/4" square from your background fabric, cut diagonally twice to make 4 triangles
1 x 3 1/4" square from your dark fabric (blue), cut diagonaly twice to make 4 triangles
1 x 2 7/8" square from your dark fabric (blue), cut diagonaly to make 2 triangles
1 x 3 1/4" square from your light fabric (burgundy), cut diagonaly twice to make 4 triangles
1 x 2 7/8" square from your light fabric (burgundy), cut diagonaly to make 2 triangles

Sew together a large dark and large light triangle, along the short sides. Make 2 of these units.

Sew these 2 units together to complete the centre square.

Sew a small light triangle to either side of the background square as shown above. Make 2 of these units.

Sew a unit to either side of the centre square, along the light triangles.

Sew a background triangle to a small dark triangle, along the short sides and then sew to either side of the remaining background squares as shown above.

Sew these three units together to complete your Right Hand of Friendship Block!! Hope that helps Teresa!! I will put this tutorial in my sidebar for those who are working on my BOM Tender Moments. You will encounter this block in Part 4 and it may help .

I used this block as the inspiration for the borders on my SBS quilt and basically just used half of the block:

The construction was a little different as you can see from my "expert' drafting lol.

I have managed to finish the borders and Im really pleased with the end result. This quilt is so difficult to photograph, I promise to take some better ones when its finally quilted!!

Hope you enjoy your weekend!!

6 comments

  1. you should be pleased, it's beautiful! Thanks for making that block look easy enough to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice tutorial. Your quilt is very pretty! Thanks for sharing, you make it look very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tutorial is just perfect and thank you for doing it. I am going to have to try this block, and I very much like the way you used it in the border. Thank YOu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent tutorial, Rose. Your sewing is all so neat. Looking forward to seeing more of your SBS quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. What a perfect way to finish an incredible top. And how very special for both you and Anne Ida that this project led to a great friendship between you to. You should feel a great sense of accomplishment, finishing this. What an inspiration you are to others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful block. I added the link to my blog on the tutorial page so that hopefully more people will come your way. (fabricmom.com)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊