Wintervale

As I mentioned yesterday, I have a new mini quilt design and its an illustration of adapting block patterns, using the basic structure and transforming it into something different. When I first saw the Starry Cross block, I saw little houses in the side units and then I imagined trees in the corner units. A little more tweaking and I had designed a little village, complete with a town square or meeting place. Introducing, Wintervale:
This design reminds me of the little town, Cornwall, where my great grandparents lived. Simple, yet inviting houses circling the unnamed, yet assumed "meeting place" where conversations were held, recipes shared, plans organised and homegrown produce traded.
The women would congregate with their hair in "pins", their brightly coloured aprons tied tightly around their waists and they always seemed to be holding a tea towel :) Knowledge was gained from these little meetings;from how to burp a baby to how to grow the perfect lemons.
The fire was always burning in these little homes. It provided warmth and cooked most of the food consumed during the day; seriously, nothing tasted better than the stews these ladies cooked slowly in the embers. All day, smoke would swirl from the chimneys and at night, there was a lovely warm glow in each of the front windows.
It was a coal mining town, situated on a mountain and surrounded by wonderful untouched bush land. As kids, we built forts and tree houses and appreciated all the beauty and adventure that nature had to offer. Because it was near the eastern coastline, it didn't experience snow but during winter it was cold, wet and the fog didn't seem to lift all day.  I have incorporated snow into my design with a lovely spotted fabric, because snow would have been wonderful :)
When hubby retires and the kids have moved on with their own lives, we will be ready for a change. Les would prefer a "sea change" but I would enjoy a "country change". Maybe a little town similar to the one my great grandparents lived in would be a good compromise for us; a coastal country town, close to the ocean :)
I hope you like my interpretation of yesterdays block and the childhood memories that it evoked. The design measures approx. 18 1/2" square and would make a lovely wall hanging or a centerpiece for your dining table.
PDF patterns of the design, are available in my shop HERE.
Adapting blocks is fun and simple to do and is only limited by your imagination. Have fun playing and building your own designs by incorporating the basics and let your creativity flow :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊