Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Fabric Requirements

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments and emails regarding my Chatelaine Sampler Quilt. I'm so thrilled you love it as much as I do. I did have a few inquiries regarding fabric requirements and thought I would address them now, as my quilt is finished and I can make a clearer calculation.
I gave you so many options for making this quilt so I'm using my quilt as a guideline for fabric requirements. I'm always generous when calculating fabric yardage but there are a few variables you need to consider:

  • Paper piecing and using templates makes it trickier to estimate yardage. You need to allow a little extra, just in case, as we all cut and piece differently, especially with paper piecing.
  • You may substitute some of the Bonus Blocks in your quilt, which will require less fabric than some of the more complicated blocks.
  • I have given a couple of easier options for some of the blocks, so this will affect your requirements.
  • You may choose more or less blocks for your quilt. I used 83 blocks, set on point (3A in the On Point Layout File) and I used the border option HERE.
It's important to remember to use my fabric requirements, as a guide only. I have divided the requirements into sections ie. blocks, layout, borders and binding, so you can see where the fabric is allocated and make adjustments accordingly.
I used a mix of Bonnie and Camille fabrics from their Vintage Modern, Marmalade and Scrumptious range, using Jelly Roll strips, fat quarters, charm packs and a little yardage plus the lovely white homespun.
You can download the Fabric Requirements file, with both metres and yards HERE.
I think I have covered everything you need to know, to make your own Chatelaine. If you have any questions, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help. And email me some photos of your blocks/quilt....I would love to see them :)
Way back in 2007, I started my first ever sampler "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler". At the time it was a free pattern on the internet, so kindly shared by Jennifer Chiaverini  It sparked my love of pieced blocks and I learnt so many new techniques. My grandma always said "give when you receive and teach when you learn".  Chatelaine is my way of giving back and sharing free patterns and imparting what I have learnt from that very first sampler quilt :)
Thank you again for being a special part of my Chatelaine Sampler journey xxx
Happy sewing :)

3 comments

  1. "give when you receive and teach when you learn".
    She is a Great woman your gradma!
    I´m agree with she.
    You are a great woman too: You sharing with ous.
    Thank you very munch.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rose!
    I'm going to start looking for some mix-and-match fat eighth packs - your guidelines will really help to know when to put a lid on it :)

    By the way, it looks like there might be a misprint for your binding requirements. Perhaps you meant about 60 cm (5/8) yd? Unless you were referring to some kind of magically expanding fabric that would enable you to get all those 2.5" strips out of 1/4 yd ;)

    Thanks again for your generosity in sharing these patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rose for the requirements. I love your grandmother's saying, its lovely like you, she would be very proud of your kind and generous heart. Guida

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊