Compass Mini Quilt + Your Free June 2018 calendar

Happy Friday everyone. I have a gorgeous new mini quilt pattern for you today and this one is a salute to the humble compass. The compass dates back to the Chinese Han Dynasty (about 206 BC) and it was made using lodestone; a naturally magnetic piece of mineral magnetite.
Of course mine is sewn with pretty floral fabric, so please welcome the stunning Compass to my pattern family:


Early cultures suspended lodestone, so it could turn, and this assisted in their navigation. Of course now days you can simply download an app and all the information is right at your fingertips.
The on point layout of the Compass block makes it appear suspended and definitely the focal point of the design.


Compass is a fully paper pieced pattern and I've divided it into four sections to make it quick and easy for you to construct. It finishes at around 16" square so it has nice big pieces and its a great way for you to show off some of your gorgeous fabrics. I used a scrappy mix of Amy Sinabaldi fabrics and I added that dramatic black fabric to define and frame the Compass block.


I used a low volume print in each of the anvil style half block corners and it gives the mini a delicate finish, letting that Compass block really shine. You could play around with endless combinations here and give your mini a completely different look.


I used a serpentine stitch to quilt my Compass mini and this time I alternated the position of the needle at my starting point and it created almost a honeycomb effect, which I'm loving. I really need to play around more with this stitch and see what else it creates :)


As always, the PDF pattern comes complete with full step by step instructions and easy to follow diagrams to assist with easy construction. It includes full sized FPP templates and a colouring sheet for planning your colours/fabrics prior to piecing. I've also included optional instructions for adding a hanging sleeve or corner hangers and a few ideas for sewing multiples of this block into larger projects.


If you would like to make your own version of my Compass mini quilt, from today until the end of June 2018 PDF patterns are available at the introductory price of $4.95 (AU) in my Big Cartel shop HERE.
Or if you prefer an instant download, patterns are also available in my Etsy shop HERE.
I also have your free June 2018 calendar featuring the gorgeous Compass:


To download and print your free calendar just visit HERE.
I hope you love Compass as much as I do. It's a fun mini to sew and such a gorgeous quilt to display.  I can't wait to see the colour combinations you come up with so don't forget to tag me and I'll pop over and see how clever you are :)


Happy sewing :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊