Free Valentines Day Coaster Pattern

How are you going with the Valentines Day projects in my first ezine? I thought I'd make up a quick coaster pattern for you, using the table runner on the cover as inspiration, to add to your decorations.
As I mention throughout the ezine, its not about spending heaps or serving lavish meals, its about keeping your preparations simple and using what you have on hand.....you are only limited by whats in your stash and by your imagination.  Here's a little snippet of our Valentines Day dinner in 2013:
It was simple but prepared with lots of love and it was fun and memorable night!! We are really looking forward to this years dinner.
So onto the coaster pattern. To make one heart block:
From white homespun cut:
- 4 x 1" squares
- 1 x 1 7/8" square cut diagonally to yield 2 triangles
From red fabric cut:
- 2 x 1 1/2" squares
- 1 x 1 7/8" square cut diagonally to yield 2 triangles
On each of the 1" white homespun squares, draw a pencil line across the square, from corner to corner. Place one square on the top left hand corner of each of the 1 1/2" red squares, drawn line facing out and carefully lining up raw edges. Sew across the drawn line and trim away the excess as shown in the above photo. Press seams towards the white homespun.  Repeat for the other side with the remaining two white 1" squares. Each unit should measure 1 1/2" when complete.
Sew the two units together to form the top of the heart block. Sew a white homespun triangle to each of the red triangles, along the long side, pressing seams towards the red fabric. Each unit should measure 1 1/2" when complete. Sew the two units together to form the bottom of the heart block, pressing seam in opposite direction to the top unit of the block.
 Sew both units together to form the heart block, which should measure 2 1/2" square when complete.
Make four of the heart blocks; I chose to make two pink and two red blocks. Sew the four blocks together to complete the coaster top which should measure 4 1/2" when complete.
Cut a piece of backing fabric, larger than the coaster top, press well and lay on a flat surface wrong side facing up. Cut a piece of wadding the same size as the backing and lay on top and then place the well pressed coaster on top, right side up. Baste lightly either with safety pins or hand baste if you prefer. 
Quilt as desired. I chose to stipple my coaster to match my table runner. Trim excess backing and wadding level with the coaster.
Cut a 2 1/2" x 25" strip of binding fabric and press in half lengthways, wrong sides together. Starting about 2/3 of the way along one side, sew bindings to the coaster, mitring corners and trimming excess as you go. Turn bindings to the wrong side and slipstitch into place to secure.
Now your coaster is complete, make as many as you need and they will look lovely on your dinner table.
I have already begun preparations for our dinner, starting with framing the subway art I designed for the ezine:
I also added a little washi tape bunting to the frame, just to pretty it up and I've decorated a few candles with washi tape.  If your looking for more ideas to inspire your decorating, follow me on Pinterest, I have pinned some lovely projects to my Valentines Day board.
I hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful Valentines Day, however you chose to celebrate :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊