Chatelaine- Free BOW Sampler Quilt Block 60

Welcome back to my free Chatelaine BOW Sampler Quilt. I've had lots of emails over the break regarding this quilt; some of you are catching up, some of you are just starting and many of you just wanted to say thanks. I really enjoy sharing these blocks with you and I appreciate all of the wonderful feedback. I've got some lovely blocks still to come, so let's get to it:
This weeks gorgeous block is Hourglass. I thought I'd start 2016 with something sweet and simple, to get us back in the groove. This is an easy nine patch variation and I think it will look lovely in our quilts.
From my research, I found that Hourglass blocks were used in quilts as part of the "Quilt Code", which was rumored to help slaves escape to the North. The quilts were hung on fences or in windows and the colour of the hourglass indicated the safest time of the day for the slaves to travel; red for morning, yellow or green for afternoon and blue or black for evening. Clever :)
(You can read more about the "Quilt Code" HERE.......very interesting read)
To download and print this weeks free pattern, just visit HERE.
I hope you enjoy my first block for 2016. Happy sewing :)

No comments

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. I love hearing from you so thank you for taking the time to leave me a message. 😊