Sunday, January 18, 2015

Tutorial- Paper Piecing Part 2

In Part 2 of my paper piecing tutorial, I wanted to share my method, and some great links, for cutting fabric and sewing angles and also give you a practice block which is sectioned and then joined.
Download my pattern HERE, and use the following diagram, just as a reference for choosing fabrics:
This block would usually be paper pieced as one block, but I have divided it:
Patterns may look complicated but they are all divided into sections, worked in exactly the same manner as in Part 1 of my tutorial and then sewn together. Cut around the dotted line of each section of the pattern, as before:
Cutting fabrics for angles or odd shapes is a little trickier. So many times I have cut and sewn my piece and when I turned the fabric back, due to the angle, the section was not fully covered. Be generous when cutting your fabric to ensure each section is fully covered, including seam allowances as ripping out seams is frustrating. It is fabric consuming but I save all my usable scraps for future projects:
In this example, I have already covered sections A1 and A2 and I have cut a piece of fabric for A3:
To ensure that my piece fully covers the section I'm working on, I pin it into place first, then flip the fabric over, so it covers the section I'm working on and then turn the paper over:
When I fold the paper back along the other sewing lines, I can see that the section is fully covered and that I have a generous excess. If you need to make any adjustments, you can do it now. You could also hold it up to a light source, to check, if you prefer. Remove the pins and sew into position and continue as normal.
This step is particularly important when sewing angles. and although this is my method, there are many excellent tutorials that also share their solutions for sewing angles. You can them visit HERE and HERE or search for some video ones on You Tube. Choose whatever method is best for you.
Once you have covered all the sections in A, trim along the dotted line, including any notches as they help to line up your pieces when joining and paper piece the sections in B, in the same manner:
You are almost there; now just to join the two sections together.
When I'm joining sections, I fold back the seam allowances of each section prior to sewing and sew the fabric only. This helps to align the sections more accurately and it also means that you wont have to remove the paper from those seams which is beneficial. Pin the sections together and sew into position.
Press the seam flat and you have completed your block which should measure 6 1/2" sqaure :)
I hope this two part tutorial has helped a little with the basics of paper piecing. I will be back very soon with my first PP pattern; I can't wait to share this mini quilt, I think it's gorgeous :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...